Athletic Training Major
The athletic training major provides a concentrated program of courses designed to prepare you for a career in athletic training. You will complete the program to meet the standards for certification by the Board of Certification and the State of Pennsylvania as a certified athletic trainer.
Forms and Documents
Please see the documents below for recommended and required courses in the athletic training major.
- What is Athletic Training?
- KINES 231 Waitlist Application
- AT Degree Audit
- Athletic Training Requirements
- Graduation Plan Worksheet (blank)
- Recommended Academic Plan
- Sequencing of Course Work
- Technical Standards
- AT Mission and Goals Statement
- ATEP Handbook 2008-2009
Each Kinesiology option and the athletic training major culminates in a practicum experience, as part of the curriculum. Read more about Kinesiology practicum experiences.
The following requirements for admission to the athletic training major are in addition to those for entrance to the Kinesiology major:
- Submission of KINES 231 Waitlist Applicationand 233. You may also contact the Department of Kinesiology Advising Office, 270 Recreation Building, University Park, PA 16802 for an application.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher in the following courses: KINES 135 (3), 202 (4), 231 (3), and 233 (3).
- Completion of an entrance interview with athletic training program director or designee.
- Evidence of ability to meet the physical and psycho-emotional standards as outlined in the Technical Standards(download the technical standards from the link above or contact the Department of Kinesiology Advising Office, 270 Recreation Building, University Park, PA 16802).
NOTE: Students are admitted to the athletic training major on a competitive, space-available basis. Admission to the major is not guaranteed despite successful completion of the prerequisites. Upon admission to the major, students complete a 5 semester sequence of course work and supervised clinical rotations. Students typically commit a minimum of 200-300 hours to practicum experiences in each of the last 4 semesters of the program.
It is recommended that students complete the KINES 231 Waitlist Application as soon as athletic training is identified as a possible goal in order to meet the sequence of course requirements, as there is a waiting list for admission to the athletic training major. This should be done as soon as possible for students at all Penn State locations. Applications can be downloaded from the links at the top of this page, obtained from the Undergraduate Program Office (276 Recreation Building) at University Park, or from the HHD college contact and referral representative at each campus location.
Students seeking to transfer from other colleges and universities will have their transcripts evaluated after acceptance to Penn State to identify those courses and credits that will be applied to completion of degree requirements. Course work specific to the athletic training major will not be considered for transfer unless completed in an Athletic Training Education (CAATE) accredited athletic training education program and approved by the program director.
Three-year Aggregate Pass Rate for Students Sitting for the Board of Certification (BOC) Exam
|fields||2009-2010||2010-2011||2011-2012||2012-2013||3 yr aggregate|
|Number of students graduating from program.||0||20||20||21||61|
|Number of students graduating from program who took examination.||0||20||20||21||61|
|Number of students who passed the examination on the first attempt.||0||19||18||21||58|
|Percentage of students who passed the examination on the first attempt.||0.00||95.00||90.00||100.00||95.08|
|Number of students who passed the examination regardless of the number of attempts.||0||19||20||21||60|
|Percentage of students who passed the examination regardless of the number of attempts.||0.00||95.00||100.00||100.00||98.36|
Clinical Preceptor Training:
Please follow the link to complete the tutorial and fill out verification form:
Athletic Training Contact Information
Athletic Training Major Office
Department of Kinesiology
276 Recreation Building
Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802