Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) Statement
We recognize the interconnectedness of people and places and the global nature of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management, We also recognize that the richest learning occurs in places, communities, and situations where there are differences. We believe all of us learn more about others and ourselves through engagement with people who see the world from a breadth of divergent perspectives. These differences include a variety of ethnic backgrounds, countries of origin, disability status, social and economic status, gender and sexual orientations, religious affiliations, appearances, and other attributes. Therefore, we are dedicated to creating an inclusive department in which everyone feels welcome and respected. We encourage and support the development of cultural awareness and intercultural sensitivity by providing opportunities for positive intergroup dialogues and celebrating diversity in our classrooms and communities.
Charge of RPTM DEIB Committee
- Promote the goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the department.
- Organize departmental events--including speakers, workshops, and social gatherings--related to these goals.
- Facilitate communication and understanding among different constituencies and serve as a department resource.
- Engage students, staff, and faculty to assess needs related to DEIB; propose strategies for assessing progress.
- Identify challenges and strengths in achieving DEIB goals; and make recommendations to the Office of Faculty Affairs and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion regarding ways to achieve DEIB goals.
RPTM DEIB Committee
The Departmental Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) Committees promote the goals of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging among faculty, staff, and students. Our events and activities have included a book club, diversity and inclusion training, a celebration of holidays from various cultures and places, invited speakers, and a lunch circle initiative. Please send an email to any of members if you want to get involved!