Skip to main content
Faculty/Staff Resources
Search search
Mobile Search:

We have organized our Frequently Asked Questions by topic areas.  Click a question to see the corresponding answer below. 

Advising and the Advising Center

How do I find out the name of my adviser? icon-olus-circle

Assigned Advisor information can be found in LionPath and also under "Network" in Starfish

How can I contact my adviser? icon-olus-circle

Students may contact their advisor by email, appointment, drop-in hours, or phone.  Advisor's email address can be found under "Network" in Starfish

When emailing your Academic Advisor, please attach your current Academic Requirements (audit).  This will help with expediting a response

Email can be a very quick and efficient way to have your advising questions answered; however, some questions are better addressed during a scheduled advising appointment.

  • Always use your Penn State email address.  This is the only way the Advising Office can be sure it’s you.  Use your PSU email account for all communication with university staff, faculty and offices.
  • Include content in the subject line.  An email without a subject line may be treated as SPAM by an email server.
  • Please email one advisor, instead of an entire advising team to get your questions answered.  In addition, use BCC with caution.
  • Appropriate email etiquette includes not using texting shortcuts.
  • It’s a good practice to check your email daily
When should I schedule an appointment with my adviser to discuss my scheduling questions for next semester? icon-olus-circle

Generally speaking plan to schedule an appointment with your adviser approximately 3-4 weeks prior to your registration date.

A students enrollment date is listed along the right column within the Student Center (LionPATH) under the heading of "Enrollment Dates."  This is the first day you are eligible to enroll in courses for the corresponding semester.

I have left/sent my adviser a message (by phone or email), how long should I wait to receive a reply? icon-olus-circle

Expect a response in 24-48 hours (longer if over the weekend or during peak advising times).  Emails are not answered in the evening hours nor on weekends

What is an Academic Requirements Report (Degree Audit)? icon-olus-circle

The LionPATH Academic Requirements/Degree Audit Report is a working document listing all requisites for completing a specific plan/major. Degree audits are used by students, faculty and staff to monitor and evaluate how students are progressing towards degree completion. The Academic Requirements Degree Audit will display requirements for all major(s) and minor(s) in which a student is currently active.

A What-if Report is used to request an Advisement Report for a plan other than the one(s) in which you are currently enrolled.  Students would run a What-if Report for their intended major(s)/option(s).

Please refer to the tutorials on the LionPATH help page  for directions on running a Degree Audit, running a What-if Report and Interpreting a Degree Audit.

What do I do when I want to have an adviser look at my schedule to make sure I’m on target to graduate? icon-olus-circle

All students are encouraged to create an Individualized Academic Plan (IAP) to assist them in tracking the requirements and timeline needed to graduation.  Students can request a IAP worksheet from their adviser. In addition, the IAP worksheet can be found under the “Suggested Academic Plans” in the menu. Students should use their Academic Requirements (audit) and suggested academic plans located in the Bulletin as tools to complete their IAP. Once completed, students can send their IAP and current copy of their Academic Requirements report (audit) to their adviser for review and feedback. An IAP can assist in the scheduling of courses each semester and provide the answer of whether students are on track or not. Students should review their IAP once a semester with their adviser. 

What do I do if I have a form for my adviser to review and sign? icon-olus-circle

Advisers need time to approve, review and sign any form.  Students should not expect same day signatures on any form.  In addition, it could be determined that a different faculty or staff member’s signature is needed and an Adviser is not the appropriate contact.  Students should allow two to three business days for return of form.  A current Academic Requirement (audit) should be attached to all forms requesting signatures.  Students should schedule an advising consultation in Starfish to meet with their adviser regarding the form. Students can also choose to email their adviser with an explanation and attachment.  Additional time may be needed during peak advising periods.

What are the criteria requirements to enter into the Kinesiology major and how can I change my major to Kinesiology? icon-olus-circle

First-semester baccalaureate students are admitted to the College of Health and Human Development (HHD) in the pre-major (HHD_PMAJ).

Entrance to Major requirements (ETM) to the KINES major at University Park include a 2.00 cumulative GPA and earned a minimum 29.1 credits (3rd semester classification).  Students use Update Academics in LionPATH to change, add, or remove majors, options, minors and certificates.


What do I do when the course I want is full? icon-olus-circle

In LionPATH, if a course is full and a Wait List is available, a student can choose to be automatically added to the class if a seat opens (tutorial: Wait List Frequently Asked Questions). Note: Be sure to un-check Show Open Classes Only in order to see full sections, including those with Wait List availability.  Even if you are on the Course Wait List continue to use Search for Classes to monitor seat availability.  Not all courses have Wait List as an option.

Continue checking the Search Search for Classes for openings or to see if a new section has been added.

Schedule a course that would be a good alternative.  (Be sure to review your course selection with your adviser.)

How do I transfer a course from another college and/or university to Penn State? icon-olus-circle

Coursework from another institution will transfer either as a specific Penn State course (e.g., ECON 102) or as general credits in a subject area (e.g., Econ – 3 GEN credits). If appropriate, general credits may be used to fulfill degree requirements and may be applied to the program of study in accordance with the policies established by the college of enrollment.

It is always good to check the equivalency BEFORE taking the course and know how the course will be used in your degree program. Be sure to use the Transfer Credit Tool to find equivalent courses (remember General Credits do not equal the direct equivalent for a course) or talk with your adviser to learn more about having a course evaluated for equivalency. You need to earn a C or better for the course to be eligible for transfer, but the grade is not calculated as part of your Penn State GPA.  In other words, the credits transfer but not the grade.  Visit Transfer Credit: Penn State University Undergraduate Admissions for further information and to access the Transfer Credit Tool.

What is an independent study? icon-olus-circle

KINES 296 and 496 are available for students who will undertake creative projects on topics not already covered in KINES courses.  The student’s individual work must be supervised by a faculty member.  The student is responsible for finding a KINES faculty member willing to serve as the instructor.  Students complete the necessary form, or by emailing Melissa Weaver at, with the instructor.  1 credit is equal to approximately 45 hours.  KINES 296 and 496 are also used for students who will be a teaching assistant in a course(s).

KINES 296 or KINES 496 should be added no later than the regular drop/add period for the semester of enrollment or a late add fee will be incurred.

296/496 Form to Complete

What do I do when a course is closed? icon-olus-circle

Advisers do not have the ability to add students to full courses.  In LionPATH, if a course is full and a Wait List is available, a student can choose to be automatically added to the class if a seat opens (tutorial: Wait List Frequently Asked Questions).  Note: Be sure to un-check Show Open Classes Only in order to see full sections, including those with Wait List availability.  Even if you are on the Course Wait List continue to use Search for Classes to monitor seat availability.  Not all courses have Wait List as an option.

Why can’t I schedule a course- what are course controls? icon-olus-circle

The Class Details page contains the meeting and enrollment information, class availability, course description, textbook information and additional details including if a course is targeted for a populations (majors, minors, etc.).  The Enrollment Information can vary between sections of the same course.  Students should read information included in the Enrollment Requirements and Notes area on the class detail page.

If students meet the criteria under Enrollment Requirements but cannot schedule the course they should call the department offering the course.

What is the limit of repeat attempts of a course? icon-olus-circle

Revised Policy Effective for Registration for Summer 2021

A student cannot attempt a course more than two times without the permission of the appropriate Dean in their unit of enrollment. (It is important to note that it is the academic official of the student's unit of enrollment; not the unit offering the class.)  Attempts are defined as earning a grade in a class or late-dropping the class.  Attempts are tracked in LionPATH. Students will be denied enrollment after a second attempt in a given course.

Attempts will also include sections of a course differentiated by suffix:  for example, attempting CAS 100A and CAS 100B would be two attempts.

The College of Health and Human Development has an online Third Course Attempt Request form found here.

Students should invest effort in responses to the three reflection questions in the form.  Submissions must be received PRIOR to the start of the semester in which students wish to attempt a course for the third time.

What courses can I use for Supporting Courses in Movement Science? icon-olus-circle

Supporting courses are meant to help students acquire knowledge of an application domain (i.e., the environment in which you eventually hope to work) and to help students develop supplemental knowledge and competencies related to your option.  Students in KINES/MOVSC are required to take 9 credits in Supporting Courses.  A list of approved Supporting Courses can be found here.  Additional courses may be possible in consultation with your adviser.

How can I enroll in more than 19 credits in a semester? icon-olus-circle

Adding a course that will take a student over 19 credits for the semester cannot be processed until the first day of classes.  Students can add the course/credits through LionPATH.  Consultation with your adviser is suggested but not required.

If I repeat a course, how will the new grade impact my cumulative grade point average? icon-olus-circle

When a course has been repeated, all of the credits and grades earned are included when calculating your cumulative grade-point average.  However, the course credits count only once towards total earned credits.  

Beginning Summer 2020 Penn State implemented Undergraduate Grade Forgiveness option

Students should refer to the Registrar’s Grade Forgiveness site to learn how to submit a grade forgiveness request,

Students have a maximum of 12 credits for which grades can be forgiven.

Which ENGL 202 course should I take? icon-olus-circle

ENGL 202A (Writing in the Social Sciences) or ENGL 202D (Business Writing) are recommended for students in the KINES major.  Which ENGL 202 suffix you select should be based on personal preference or determined by the type of work environment you see yourself pursuing when you graduate.

Which CAS 100 course should I take? icon-olus-circle

All CAS 100 courses will satisfy the GWS requirement.  CAS 100A has an emphasis on public speaking and presentations.  CAS 100B focuses on group problem solving and group presentations.  CAS 100C involves message evaluation and analysis.

Can I enroll in a World Campus (WC) course? icon-olus-circle

Students cannot use LionPATH to enroll in WC courses offered Fall or Spring semesters.  Students need to contact the WC Registrar’s Office,, 1-800-252-3592, a week before the semester begins if space remains and student meets all listed enrollment requirements and prerequisites.  World Campus may restrict some courses to all resident instruction students.


How and when do I apply for graduation? icon-olus-circle

The Link for applying for graduation is located on the My Academics page of the Student Center. Refer to the Intent to Graduate-Activation Period of the University's Academic Calendar to determine the dates when you can apply for graduation. The graduation activation period for a semester typically begins a week before the beginning of classes and continues for two weeks into the semester.

Tutorials on using LionPATH, including how to apply for graduation, can be found on the following link,

What if I want to “walk” in the commencement ceremony? icon-olus-circle

Non-Graduating Seniors who are within one semester of degree completion can request to walk in a commencement ceremony.  Requests are approved only if no more than 8 credits or two courses are needed and students will be graduating the next semester.  A request to walk in the ceremony is merely an approval to attend.  Student names will not be in the commencement program.  Only the names of students who have activated their Intent to Graduate and will be completing all their degree requirements will appear in the programs. The Commencement- Walk Request online form can be found at

Where and when are commencement ceremonies? icon-olus-circle

The following site, answers many questions students might have concerning commencement.  Commencement ceremonies are listed in chronological order on the site.

General HHD Student Questions

Are there any scholarships available through the Kinesiology Department? icon-olus-circle

The College of Health and Human Development (HHD) awards scholarships on the basis of academic achievement, financial need, school/community activities, leadership positions, and work experience.  Students must be enrolled in the College of Health and Human Development to receive scholarship support and some scholarships and awards require enrollment in a specific major.

All currently enrolled HHD students, currently enrolled Penn State students intending to transfer to the College prior to the Fall semester, and incoming freshmen and students transferring from a college outside of the Penn State system will be automatically considered for all scholarships and awards for which they are eligible.  For questions or additional information please contact Dennis Shea at dgs4@psu.eduor 814-863-2901.

A few select scholarships in academic units require additional information for consideration as noted in the description.